Sunday, January 22, 2017

emotion - Do emojis provide any value over emoticons?



Some background


By emoji, I mean these: http://www.emoji-cheat-sheet.com/


By emoticons, I mean the standard :), :P, ;) etc.


These emoticons or emoji will be available to users in things like text areas for posting comments and writing blog posts.


Context


I am considering cases where we provide a rich text editor and the user can select the appropriate emoji/emoticon from a drop down.


The second approach is a plain text area where users will need to type in :) or :smile: and an autocomplete dropdown like github's: enter image description here


Question


Emojis provide a lot of images which does add to the fun factor. However, from my personal experience, I have always found them hard to use (because I need to remember all the codes :smile:, :stuck_out_tongue: etc). The fact that someone has created cheat sheet means that I am not the only one having this problem. Having to use something like :smile: over :) provides more friction too.


In addition, because I can't be bothered loading up the cheat sheet most of the time, I just end up using the same 3 or 4 emojis in my posts and comments.



Is there any value in using emojis over the classical emoticons?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...