Friday, October 12, 2018

adobe illustrator - How to make a hexagonal grid?


I'm trying to make a hexagonal grid, I want each hexagon to be it's own shape, with no extra paths.



I've tried a bunch of different methods to create a hexagon grid, something like this (where each hexagon is it's own shape/path):


Image of desired look - hexagons
[The artifacts you see now are merely a rendering issue in Illustrator, once I export it, it looks better.]


I've tried creating the shape and manually cloning and placing it while using smart guides, which is extremely hard to align properly.


I can get one side aligned easily, just not the other:


GIF of my attempt at Smart Guides




Using Transform Effect is also quite difficult, since I don't know how I can get the exact values of (the different) distances that they need to be moved. (It's probably some mathematical equation @joojaa)



Answer



Using Transform Effects isn't that hard; you just need three measurements....



enter image description here


The measurements are:



  • X1: Width

  • X2: 1/2 Width

  • Y2: 3/4 Height


You then need two* Transform Effects...





  • The first set to move horizontally by X1 (with as many copies as needed)




  • The second set to move horizontally by X2 and vertically by Y2 (again with a number of copies)...






  • Object → Expand Appearance...

  • Done





* Using three (total) Transform effects gives you a diagonal field since you're transforming two axis at once; you can create a square field by using three Transform effects (you should be able to figure out the needed transformations from the following):


You create the first and then the second, but you only create 1 copy in the second step.


Then for transform effect 3, you move vertically by 2 x (Y2) and then a number of copies.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...