Sunday, October 28, 2018

ux field - UX Designer, UX Analyst or UX Architect?... does it matter?




Lately I've been asked to explain my job description, you know, what is your title?. I've been looking around to see how other colleagues describe the job.


I find that some people call it UX Designer, which is all right, at the end of the day we are designing an experience; but I find it isn´t clear enough for certain audiences. Some people (business people, product owners and even stake holders) don't really know what "design" means, or have a very narrow or incomplete idea of what is comprehended by "design". So, UX Designer, though accurate, is not useful in every case.


Another description I found was UX Analyst, which is also accurate. We are analyzing users behavior and coming up with solutions for particular problems. I find it that in the cases were the term UX Design fails to explain this part of the process, UX Analyst does a better job, but still is a bit incomplete. When you say the word Analyst people tend to forget about the creative process behind UX. They do not contemplate the fact that our job includes both analysis and engaging in creative solutions. So, that's the problem.


Lately I've been testing this new approach, the UX Architect. It seems that the word "Architect" gives a better sense of the complete task. It includes the analytic part of the process as well as the creative part.


I know this is the LEAST of our problems as a UX community, but I find it interesting how the perception of our job changes when we present ourselves with the right title!


So, what do you think? What's the best description you know? What do you use to describe what you do?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...