Monday, October 15, 2018

How to fill in outlined text with transparency-to-color gradient in Illustrator


I'm trying to create a fading effect on an outlined text by adding gradient to transparency. Is it possible to do so?


My idea was to create an object to overlap it, but I cannot make the object of the background color because I already have a slight gradient there and it is impossible to match them.


So I thought that it might be somehow possible to make the overlapping object transparent-to-blue and somehow apply that effect to the text object, but I cannot figure out how to make it. Can someone help me with that please?


To illustrate my thought I'm attaching a picture:




The text should have a gradient from transparent to blue from left to right.


If I just apply the gradient to the text it applies an individual gradient to every letter, I want it to go across all of the letters (one gradient).



Answer



You can add a new appearance to the text.


Group the text (Ctrl+G) and open up the Appearance Panel (Window → Appearance)



  • Select the group

  • Click on the dropdown and select Add New Fill



Now apply the gradient:


enter image description here


This also works for Radial Gradients (not only Linear):


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...