Sunday, October 7, 2018

creative writing - How to write about what you don't know?


I am a strong believer in writing what you know. Everything I write is at least partially based on something that I have experienced.


My problem is that for plot reasons, I need one of my characters to grow up in a culture and environment I am not familiar with. I need at least a chapter in that area. My goal is to portray the culture and belief of that region as a native.



I thought about reading books located in that area and maybe speaking with natives. However, it is in a region that is not portrayed in movies and seldom in books. Yet enough of my potential readers are familiar enough with the area to spot made-up things.


Are there any methods to facilitate simulating an empirical knowledge of a relatively unknown area?


N.B. this is not a duplicate of Writing about a subject on which you have no expertise?, which is about technical writing.


I found a partial answer in How to do research to write characters from a different culture?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...