Friday, October 26, 2018

website design - Blinking, bouncing and flashing elements


I'm responsible for the UI/UX in a software development company.


During my absence, some developers decided to implement a "bounce" effect on a button of a website that they think should have more visibility.


Basically you will see this button jumping every 10 seconds, drawing your attention. The button points to the help content of the software.


I am usually against intrusive and annoying animations, but I would like to know more about this topic. I personally think that this solution is very intrusive and distracting.


How should I deal with blinking, bouncing, rotating, and zooming effects? Are there best practices?



Answer




In my book, all animations of control elements must be triggered only by user actions. For example, in large forms or full-screen workflows animations can be used as additional visual cues for the next step once something has been completed. If This Than That (ifttt.com) is a good example here - the page auto-scrolls to the next step when you click Next.


Random animations distract users from the current task and break their mental flow. This especially concerns elements that have no effect on the workflow of the task at hand (like the help button in your example).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...