Wednesday, October 17, 2018

consistency - Should my menus drop down on hover + on click or just on click?


I have a web application that currently has menus that drop down 'on hover'. This is obviously an issue on tablets, etc. where there is no hover equivalent.


So, I need to add an 'on click' capability to have the menus drop down, but I'm not sure if I should also leave in the on hover ability, or remove it.


My question is: Should the menus be 'on click' only for consistency or support both on hover/on click to drop down?


edit: the menu is very clearly not the navigation menu at the top of the page, it's more of a control menu for filtering/sorting results on tabular data.


The idea is that hovering over 'Filter by' or 'Columns' drops down a menu that allows you to select which columns are visible, or add filters to the list of results shown.


(come to think of it, maybe it's not as clear as I think)


Menu with filters/columns



Answer




Seems to me you need dropdowns like those below that open up on click not hover - with the down arrow acting as the affordance.


enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...