Wednesday, October 31, 2018

jpg - When resaving JPEGs, the file size increases, but the quality is not changed – why?


I was experimenting with JPEG quality loss upon resaving and noticed that not only (even after four resaves) did the quality not degrade (down to pixel level), but the file sizes actually increased by 200 kb or so each time.


Can anyone give an explanation for this? Where is this newly created information that increases the file size even coming from? I would have expected at least slight degradation and a decrease in file size. I saved using Photoshop’s save for web function and 100 % quality.


Original - 798kb


After 5 saves - 1020kb


*Original (top) - 798kb *After 5 saves (bottom) - 1020kb





No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...