Thursday, October 4, 2018

resolution - Why are the terms DPI and PPI so misunderstood?


It seems the terms DPI and PPI are misunderstood by more people than actually understand them. I'm not just talking about average Joe trying to print a holiday snap, I'm talking about graphic designers, photographers and even the guy who runs my local print shop—people who really should know. It honestly baffles me.



The common misconception is that an increased DPI will inherently improve image quality and likewise increase file size. What people don't understand is that it has no tangible effect on an image file itself, only its effectible print size (or PPI does, hence my next point). Add the fact that DPI and PPI have become interchangeable in recent years (no, they are not the same thing)...


Why are these terms so misunderstood? (Bonus: What can be done about it?)




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...