Wednesday, July 17, 2019

adobe illustrator - Critique my logo please


I asked for a critique on my personal logo before and got an amazing response from you guys. thank you! So i abandoned that idea and now have created this new logo.


Basically, I am a graphic designer, already known by the name Miss Graphics and I am trying to rebrand my image.


This was my previous question which shows what my old logo looked like: Critique my logo and help choose colour


Design process involved experimenting with various icons and signature fonts but after the last critique I received I decided to go for some icon.


The concept I have tried to present here is pentool (for to represent graphics) with eyes/glasses (to represent "Miss") sort of a look incorporating the letter M as the basic shape. Please let me know if this is how you perceive it as well.


Also, Please let me know what you think of the logo generally, the colour scheme and geometric/3D effect. Any other comments you might have on whats good and what can be improved, I will greatly appreciate it. Thank you!



enter image description here



Answer



Sorry if this comes across a bit harsh. It's honestly not meant to be anything other than helpful. I have no stake in how good or bad your logo may be. I can only offer some suggestions I would follow in my own effort to create a logo for myself, or another designer in general. You are posting this at a design-oriented site asking designers about a logo for a designer. So, it is expected that you want honest forthright opinions as opposed to merely praise for creating artwork.


Big props to you though. I don't know that I'd open my branding up to scrutiny from other designers. I love my branding, but I'm also aware that pretty much every other designer is going to find something they would want to do differently or change. It's the nature of the field.


Be aware that, for me, creating my own personal identity was among the hardest brands I've ever created. In fact, it wasn't until years later than I could finally land on something I was thrilled to use. Everything prior to that was merely "acceptable" and I didn't feel it embarrassed me. So, I used it. But a strong concept for yourself can be daunting and asking for opinions from designers can make things even worse. It may come down to finding a concept you like and are happy enough with to use for the time being, just so there's something to use. In other words, you may simply need to ignore what anyone else says and use what you are happy with.




To me, this design appears to be an instance of sitting in front of software trying to come up with some concept or idea. As opposed to coming up with an idea, and then using software to refine it.


I don't see "eye glasses or a "bikini top" in the imagery. I DO see a bowtie. After reading the question, I can see how you feel the Pen Tool is represented. I would caution against focusing so much on the tools you may use. You can easily pigeonhole yourself that way. Many people hiring designers may not know what the pen tool even looks like. And those that do know what it looks like may feel that's your area of expertise and won't contact you for anything other than projects requiring pen tool-type of work. Which may or may not be a problem for you. In any event, the way it's drawn is very ambiguous and most likely no one is going to pick up on the fact that it's meant to be a Pen Tool.


There's little or no actual thought given to the imagery or type design. It's a clear exercise in "playing" around in the software until you find something which you feel looks good. This is compounded by looking at the previous question which is 180° different in both concept and design. You went from a script, more loose, impression to a hard-edged angular block. Since a logo will go a long way to defining who you are to prospective clients, you need to decide which "mood" you are more comfortable displaying.


I'd strongly suggest you step away from anything with an LCD screen, grab a pen and a piece of paper and start sketching ideas.



Write down a few words that describe your business. Avoid nondescript terms like "professional" They don't actually mean anything.




These are just examples off the top of my head without knowing you or your area of focus.




So you get...



  • Fast

  • Reliable

  • Friendly

  • Print


  • Web

  • Feminine


Now write down a few words for concepts for each of those which might convey that word... a la....



  • Fast

    • Racing

    • Speed Limit

    • Checkered flag


    • Rocket

    • Bullet



  • Reliable

    • Siren

    • Calendar

    • Stars

    • Bricks




  • Friendly

    • Smile

    • Handshake

    • Puppy wagging tail



  • Print


    • Registration

    • CMYK

    • Printer



  • Web

    • Globe

    • Spider


    • Communication

    • Social



  • Feminine

    • (due to the possibility of offending some, I'll leave this list to you)







If possible adding concepts which are not very commonplace can be helpful. For example, I've written "smile", "spider", "globe", "rocket" -- these are really common and you may do better by trying to think of more obscure, but clear, concept references. Again, the list above is merely an example.




Now start combining the secondary words and doodle......



  • Rocket + Puppy

  • Checkered Flag + Smile

  • Rocket + Spider

  • Siren + Phone

  • etc.



From there you should have several doodles representing more solid ideas/concepts and then move to software the refined ideas. With this in mind.. what exactly is the Pen Tool representative of?? How you spend a few hours of your day? Does that really convey what it is you do overall?




I would also encourage you to ignore color and those "highlights" on the type and design strictly in black and white until you feel you have an idea nailed. Once you can walk away for 2 or 3 days, and come back to look at a black and white version of your logo concept, and be pleased with it... then start thinking about color.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...