Wednesday, July 24, 2019

fiction - How to create a title


I am at a dilemma, as I cannot title my novel. So I created these questions.



  • What creates a good title for a novel?

  • What should I include/not include in my title?



At the moment, I have come up with 'The Day Before', however I believe that that's quite generic. On the other hand, it does fit the plot, as the end of the novel begins to revolve around what happened the very day before the day in which the first chapter is set.


So, after writing that paragraph I came up with this addition.



  • How can I make my title original?



Answer



1) What I like to do is go to a book store and look at the titles in the genre I am writing in. If you do that, you will notice that books from the same genre often have titles that are similarly structured.


For example, thrillers have short one or two word titles that relate to things hard, cold and dangerous. YA SF also has one word titles, but these words are mysterious and emotional. YA romance has humorous phrases. And so on.


So, get an idea of title conventions in your genre. These exist because they sell, so use them to create a structural frame for your title.


2) Try to write down what your novel is about in a few words. Brainstorm and don't censor yourself yet. What is the moral premise? What is the plot? What is the end? What is the character's handicap? Etc. Collect as many short phrases and words as you can.



Then try to rephrase these ideas, fitting them into the structural frame you deduced from looking at genre titles.


3) While you do that, try to imagine what your target audience wants. Why do they read? How does your book satisfy their desire. Use your intimate familiarity with your readership to further shape and finetune your title.


4) Show a selection of possible titles to your trusted beta readers, your husband/wife, your agent, your writer's group, and ask for their feedback.


5) Select a title and submit your manuscript.


6) Get rich.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...