Wednesday, December 31, 2014

design - Difference between Notice and Info messages?


I designed a program that is used to send data through the socket. In each program action, I display a message about process state.


I'm confused by when to display a Notice message or Info message. Some of the programs that I have encountered use both terms.


What is the difference between Notice and Info messages? And when this increased to a Warning?



Answer




I don't know if other people think about these covnentions in the same way I do but the way I see them is.


enter image description here


Notice: Simply a statement that is non-actionable, use these to alert the user of something smaller and passive that you want the use to notice, such as an event that has happened like successful submit.


Info: Actionable statement that you need the user to see and act on, but with no negative connotation (see Warning/Error), use this for things like "There is a new update to this Software"


Warning: Negative connotation, given before anything goes wrong but warns user of imminent problems if they proceed down a certain path. Such as "email left blank, you cannot submit without valid email".


Error: Negative connotation, given after something has already gone wrong, try to include what went wrong and how to fix said issue.


don't get me wrong these are subtle differences and could likely be used interchangeably but that is how I see them.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...