Wednesday, December 31, 2014

fiction - How do I balance work with my love of writing?


I'm a programmer and an aspiring writer. I love writing. Over the past year, I had been working on my first novel. Making the plot, dimensioning the characters, integrating conflicts etc. And when I started writing the novel, Snap! came a financial crisis; now I can't pay my college fees.


Fortunately, a door of hope opened and I was invited to join a team of programmers who are working on a project and will pay me for my contribution. It will be enough.



Now the real problem is, if I join them, I can be rest assured that my writing career will end prematurely. I don't want that to happen at any cost. But if I go forward with my writing, I won't be able to pay my fees. And this is India. Here, you need to have a degree to find yourself a good publisher.


Could someone suggest a way how I can resolve my dilemma?



Answer



Your writing career will only end if you stop writing. Period. So don't stop writing.


You may not have as much time as you want, or as much as you think you need. But don't stop. Write at night, write on the weekend, write over lunch.


If you want it badly enough, don't look for excuses to stop writing. Look for excuses to continue writing.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...