Tuesday, December 16, 2014

stochastic processes - Can I always use quadratic variation to calculate variance?


Suppose we have a Brownian Motion $BM(\mu,\sigma)$ defined as


$X_t=X_0 + \mu ds + \sigma dW_t$


The quadratic variation of $X_t$ can be calculated as


$dX_t dX_t = \sigma^2 dW_tdW_t = \sigma^2 dt$


where all lower order terms have been dropped, therefore the quadratic variation (also the variance of $X_t$)


$[X_t,X_t]=\int_0^t \sigma^2 ds=\sigma^2 t$


I was trying to use the same tech solve the problem posted in Integral of Brownian Motion w.r.t Time



If I start as differential form $dX_t = W_tdt$ and calculate $dX_t dX_t$. After drop all lower order terms, I have $dX_tdX_t=0$. This means the quadratic variation is zero. Hence we have the variance is zero?


I understand this isn't correct. But I really want to know what, prevents me doing this problem as previous one?


I am pretty new to SDE and any help will be appreciated! Thanks a lot!



Answer



Quadratic variation and variance are two different concepts.


Let $X $ be an Ito process and $t\geq 0$.


Variance of $X_t$ is a deterministic quantity where as quadratic variation at time $t $ that you denoted by $[X,X]_t $ is a random variable.


What is confusing you is the fact that when $X $ is a martingale then $X^2_t-[X,X]_t$ is a martingale thus you have


$$E (X_t^2)=E ([X,X]_t)+E (X^2_0) $$


In the case where $X_0=0$ ( and thus $E (X_t)=0$ because $X $ is a martingale) You have $$Variance (X_t)=E ([X,X]_t) $$



In the general case, it is not true. Your example is the case where $X $ is not a martingale and thus it is not true.


Please comment for any further explanation.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...