Sunday, December 14, 2014

Implementing UI Design of iOS to Android App, Good Idea?


I found a similar question here but I want to hear the answer to my questions.


Our team has launched an iOS version of our app, let's call it X App. We have sold this to 3 clients and they like it. Now, one of our clients wants us to create an android version of X App.


Before that, they hired me as android developer. After demanding an android version, my software architect gave us (Android team) the software-design instructions for android version of X App. This is easy to follow but I'm completely disappointed.


The user interface of iOS version of X App must be same in android version. Each UI Element in iOS must be same in android version.


This is against to Android Standard UI Design. Is this a good idea? Cloning UI from iOS to android version?


Specifically,




  1. They want to make us an iOS Toolbar instead of using the Actionbar.

  2. The search text is also same as iOS version

  3. Buttons should have a gradient and cornered border.


Fortunately, the Android's navigation bar survived. Since I'm disappointed and concerned to the future of our app, I planned to propose a UI Improvement which follows the android standard UI design. Should I continue this plan? Or forget this problem? If we release the Android version, will the client disappointed?


Edit: I did a mock-up UI and shared the screen-shot to my teammate. He's really agreed to my suggestion, just saying.



Answer



You should never directly implement visual elements typical for one system in another system.


There are not only different visual representations, but also different usage scenarios of the UI of two different systems, as the features of both systems are not equal. Thus, you will never (well, maybe some very simple applications excepted) be able to keep the interface intuitive and functional.



Users will get confused and the application will look, well... "silly" seems to be the right word for that. Instead, you should take an advantage of the usage scenarios and UI elements typical for the system you are porting it to.


Although I always suggest to use UI patterns standard for a system, you can go custom interface, though. It's the middle way, not perfect, but may let you make both Android and iOS version look more similar (if you need it).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...