Tuesday, December 23, 2014

When to end usability test task


I was wondering: if participant thinks he has found the solution to a task, do you end the task even if the solution is the wrong one? Eg. you task the participant to find some information, but he doesn't find it, but instead finds some contact info and says 'I would call there and ask'. Will you move on to another task at this point?


My own thought is that this is a good point to move on as participant wouldn't keep looking in real life.



Answer



Your goal should be to squeeze out as much information from the participant as you can without leading them.


In this case, I would mark it as a fail but continue prodding him with phrases like "Can you think of any other way you might find the information?". Also, try to figure out why the participant discounted the other possible ways of finding the information in the first place.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...