Monday, December 15, 2014

mobile - Should I have "read more" links in a responsive design?


I'm currently in the middle of a re-design for a mid-market newspaper's website, and for each article there's a "Continue reading story >>" link after the lede paragraph on topic pages and the home page.


Our design is going to be fully responsive, for desktop and mobile, and by accommodating these "read more" links, we're adding a lot of extra scrolling for mobile readers. I also dislike the repetition of the same unit of content 50+ times on the same page.


So I ask, should I have "read more" links in my responsive design, and what other alternatives exist?



Answer



Perhaps in this situation a CSS text-overflow ellipsis may suffice. There are several additional possibilities for indicating the article summary is clickable. Check out the right hand side of https://svbtle.com/ . I am a big fan of making the entire summary clickable to expose the rest of the content, not just the title. For desktop designs you can change the color of the title to indicate action on hover. For mobile devices where hover events cannot be detected, you could implement a title color change on whichever article is closest to the middle of the screen.


Article summary highlight


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...