Monday, December 22, 2014

What is the standard on displaying wide tables on mobile devices?


We need to display wide tables (10+ columns) on our new mobile website. Is the standard to:



  • Scroll Horizontally without any indication that the visitor can scroll to the right (like Google Docs) regardless of the device being in portrait or landscape mode, or


  • Scroll Horizontally with an indication that the visitor can scroll to the right? For example an ">>" or a blurred right hand column regardless of the device being in portrait or landscape mode, or

  • Force landscape mode and keep zoom at 100% with (or without) an indication of scrolling left or right, or

  • Force landscape mode and keep zoom at 20% (or small enough to view all columns) and allow the visitor to pinch and zoom their way around, or

  • something else?


At the moment we are mimicing Google Docs.



Answer



Google Docs is a pretty good starting point for any user experience inspiration, but I'd be inclined to say your second point would be the best possible option if it's practical.


If the information in your table is important and you don't want it to be missed, I think it's important to let the user know that there is more information available if you scroll. Blurring the side of the screen suggests that there is something else to be found, and also looks good, which always helps the user experience. I think it also panders to the curious side of people. I know if I see a blurred part of the screen, I want to see what follows! At the very least I'd be wanting an arrow, although you might find users would try and click on this, which isn't what you were asking for.


I definitely think your second option is the best solution, for usability and aesthetic reasons!



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...