Wednesday, January 29, 2020

modal dialog - Are Mailing list popups bad usability


I had a client request that they wanted a mailing list popup like the example given below where the popup is presented to the user as soon as they land on the site



enter image description here


I am a little concerned about the effectiveness of this popup in terms of conversion and the potential for it being an annoyance. I did some research on what the general view is on mailing list popups and there seems to be consensus that they can help in increasing conversions but they can be really annoying as well. However most of this information was garnered by discussions in forums about such methods to sign up people. I am wondering if there is any research on whether such a popup is bad usability or there are pros which outweigh the cons?



Answer



Simply ask your client if they are willing to lose users at this step in hopes of collecting more email addresses. A complete and thorough visit of the site may be worth less to them than having that email address or vice versa.


I also like to tack calls-to-action like this at the end of good content (a gallery, a video) that I feel engaged users are likely to consume.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...