Friday, January 10, 2020

website design - Why do people keep telling me my site looks awful?


I've developed a website, and recently was looking for a job. Practically all interviewers, after taking a quick glimpse at it, told me my site was designed awfully (but liked the concept). I should mention I'm a software engineer, but I'm really trying to get the design part right as well. I've been trying to redesign it, but have no idea what's there to change.


Here's how it looks now:

enter image description here


I'd really appreciate any tips specific for my site, or on how to improve a site's design in general (I've visited some sites that explain how to design sites, but that doesn't seem to help :) ).


Edit 1: As I said, people tend to have a bad impression of it just by having a look at it, even before I introduce the functionality. That makes me think there's something wrong with the colors I picked or the layout. And I was thinking a specific site design can be helpful for designers out there, just like a specific story is educative for literature students, and specific algorithms are helpful for software students. Thanks.


A side note: Functionality: If it does matter, here's what the site aims to accomplish (very briefly): Users can add topics, and for each topic add questions together with their answers. The site create "tests" and "quizzes" for users to take and compare their results


Edit 2: Here's another printscreen:
enter image description here


Edit 3: Just to be clear, non of these screenshots are my landing page. They are topic-specific content pages.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...