Wednesday, January 22, 2020

stochastic processes - Use of Girsanov's theorem in bond pricing


Assume that we want to calculate the time $t=0$ price of a bond: $B(0,T) = E_P[\exp(-\int_0^T r_s ds)]$, where $r$ is the interest rate following the SDE $dr_t=k(\theta-r_t)dt+\sigma dB_t=b(r_t)dt+\sigma dB_t$.


I was shown that one could write the price as


$B(0,T) = E_{\hat{P}}[\exp(-\int_0^TB^{*}_sds)\exp(\int_0^Tb(B^{*}_s)dB^{*}s-\frac{1}{2}\int_0^Tb^2(B^{*}_s)ds)]$


where $B_t^{*}$ is the "new" Brownian motion from the Girsanov theorem.


However, when I try to implement it, it results in prices that are too low. Here is what I did:



Since $dr_t=b(r_t)dt+\sigma dB_t$, Girsanov's theorem gives a new Brownian motion with dynamics $dB_t^{*}=\frac{1}{\sigma}b(r_t)dt+dB_t$, and the dynamics of $r_t$ becomes $dr_t=\sigma dB_t^{*}$. So $r_t=r_0+\sigma B_t^{*}$ and $dB_t^{*}= \frac{1}{\sigma}b(r_0+\sigma B_t^{*})dt+dB_t$. With this last expression I tried to use Euler discretization to find $B_t^{*}$, then finally I approximated the three integrals as sums.


What am I doing wrong? Secondly, I also wonder what the starting point of $B_t^{*}$ should be, i.e. $B_0^{*}$.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...