Saturday, January 11, 2020

What can Illustrator do that Photoshop can't?


I'm fairly expert in Photoshop but a total novice in Illustrator. I need to do an infographic and I have a suspicion that Illustrator is what a real designer would use, but I don't really know why I think that, since Photoshop does vectors pretty well and I'm not sure what Illustrator adds to this. (I'm not saying it doesn't add a lot, I just don't really know what it is.)


Every time I open Illustrator it seems just baffling (as did Photoshop before I learned it), and I'm wondering if it's something I should really commit to learning, or if Photoshop can do everything Illustrator can.



Answer



This is a very, very broad question and should probably be closed as too broad (I voted so).


There are a ton of things Illustrator does which Photoshop does not. Just as there are a ton of things Photoshop does which Illustrator does not. In addition, there may be common areas where Illustrator is much better than Photoshop even though features are similar.


Off the top of my head...




  • create true vector files (resolution independent files)

  • Access type glyphs

  • Text wraps

  • Symbols

  • variable vector strokes

  • Path operations

  • Multiple artboards


No designer should be bound by tools. Knowing Illustrator is mandatory in my view. Photoshop, while a great tool, is not the be-all-end-all. If you were a mechanic, you would not restrict yourself to only using a flat-head screwdriver. You'd probably also get a Phillips screwdriver -- even though you could turn some Phillips screws with the flat-head.



Related:



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...