Monday, November 26, 2018

anchor point - Sketch: Cog with rounded corners


I am new to Sketch and have been using Illustrator before.


Now I made a cog in sketch, however I don't want it to have hard edges, but rather rounded ones. Here is how I made my cog in Sketch:


enter image description here


Now when I select the shape, I can round corners, however it will only round the corners of the rectangles:


rounded corners outcome in sketch



When I flatten the shape rounding corners for the "inner edges" (don't know what to call them) is greyed out:


enter image description here


In Illustrator however this is only a matter of a few clicks:


Illustrator Procedure


Here a better look at the desired outcome:


enter image description here


There surely is a way to do that in sketch, I figure. I'd be very thankful if someone could teach me how :)



Answer



I'm not a Sketch user, however if it's not possible to round the corners automatically, then it would be possible to do it manually.




  • Create one tooth of a cog wheel, by drawing a rounded rectangle over a circle, uniting, and manually editing the curve by adding an extra anchor/node


  • One half of the circle should suffice, as you can delete the other half, reflect the part with the rounded tooth, and do a boolean operation to unite it




  • Then duplicate and rotate the tooth around a circle



  • Then do a boolean operation to unite all the pieces


Here's a quick animated proof of concept (done in Inkscape), but I'm pretty sure it could be done in any vector image editor, with basic operations.



enter image description here


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...