Saturday, November 10, 2018

conventions - Why don't ATMs give you cash before your card?





I live in Australia, so this might not apply worldwide, but here, when withdrawing money, the ATM will give me back my bank card, then several seconds later the cash comes out.


This typically leads to forgetting to take the cash, especially when my mind is elsewhere.


Given that I put the card into the machine, aren't I less likely to forget to wait for it? Wouldn't it make more sense to wait until I take the cash, then output my card?



Answer



I found an article that explains this.


Apparently, in Argentina, ATMs give cash before the card, resulting in a large amount of people leaving their cards behind. See http://uxmovement.com/thinking/preventing-user-errors-in-automated-teller-machines/ - unfortunately there are no references cited so I'm unsure how true this is.


To me, however, it would make more sense if your card was returned to you before entering your PIN.


As Jørn explains, it comes down to when the user considers the task completed. You're at the ATM to get cash, you're more likely to remain at the ATM until you receive your cash.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...