Thursday, November 15, 2018

characters - How do I justify a mansplainer/misogynist?


I have a male character who is coming across as patronizing and mansplain-y.


He has several scenes where he tells a (different) female protagonist how she should behave, or assumes she doesn't understand and corrects her. I've been using him as a pretext for exposition, to explain when the protagonists are wrong. I didn't realize it's just about all he does.


In my original draft he was the responsible one, kind of a "dad" who disapproves of their recklessness.




  1. He assumes one is sexually naive and warns her (she isn't naive).

  2. He tells the second to stop dressing provocatively around his men (she has been).

  3. He bawls out a third for taking dangerous risks (she has been).

  4. He is overprotective (again)

  5. He casts doubt on the provocative woman's trustworthiness (his suspicions are later justified).


When I examined him as character, I realized I've been using him to say what the reader needs to know, but the protagonists don't want to hear.



"Pull yourself together because [_e_x_p_o_s_i_t_i_o_n_]!"


"Don't trust that woman because [_e_x_p_o_s_i_t_i_o_n_]."




Coincidentally, his advice is perfect and his character is flat.


I want to flip the character, and use the patronizing pattern to discount his testimony against the provocative woman. He has a strong distrust of her from the start, ultimately admits sexual attraction.


He can't be a frothing at the mouth villain or commit overt sabotage – he is still a good guy, but I need to sow seeds of doubt in the reader and stir conflict within the team.


How do I get the reader to see him as misogynist, so sympathy shifts to the woman? Is there a point of no return? Can he regain reader trust once he is vindicated?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...