Thursday, November 15, 2018

plot - Making characters multidimensional and unique. What can I do?


I'm writing a sci-fi/fantasy story and I have quite a number of characters that I want to deploy in the story. However, these characters should each have their own agendas in life, their own internal battles, shortcomings etc. In short, each of my characters should be as real and as human as possible. Memorable personalities which leave a mark upon the reader long after they've put my story down.


My story seems to have a pretty good and solid back story. The main problem I'm facing is the development of characters. To me, they appear shallow and one dimensional. What I want to know is how I take these one dimensional characters and make them real. Make them someone you can connect to and remember long after you've read my story. What techniques can I use to make them more visceral, so to speak? This is also why I am concerned about dialogues between characters. The dialogues seem to be shallow and lacking right now.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...