Saturday, November 24, 2018

typography - How do I create a solid line of uniform thickness inside of a letterform in Illustrator?


I've seen all sorts of headlines and ads that use this style a solid color section of type has a solid uniform line of a different color running through the exact middle of each letter. I've done all sorts of google searches and I haven't even come close to finding the answer (probably because I have no clue what this technique is called).


Of course I could draw a path on each letterform using the pen tool, but I want to know if there is an easier, time efficient way to do this, perhaps using the appearance pannel.


Any help would be greatly appreciated. This has been driving me crazy for months!



See below for an example of what I'm talking about: "WARM INSIDE" from a Chili's tabletop ad.


Example from Chili's restaurant



Answer



Using an inner stroke is unlikely to get the results you're after.


enter image description here


I'm not aware of any automatic way to style the text how you'd like it. I think the designer of the packaging in question probably did one of two things:



  1. Found a typeface with this feature (there are quite a few).

  2. Hand crafted the text and/or the effect.



I think the first option is more likely. So, that's probably what you should do. Although, if you don't have much text, creating the inner path could work well and may not be too much effort.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...