Thursday, March 19, 2015

cs6 - There Must Be A Way: Trimming Groups Of Lines To Fit Complex Shape - Illustrator


This doesn't seem complex, and I'm not a beginner but can't figure it out or find answer online.


I want to be able to trim a series of lines to fit in a complex shape (lay the shape over a group of stroked paths and trim them so only segments that are within the shape remain). I want actual truncated line segments left so that I can apply strokes, widths, profiles and brushes to what's left.


I understand clipping masks (but they don't leave new endpoints for width/brushes) and envelopes (which bend/distort lines to fit) and have tried all of the pathfinder options with no luck. I can of course just use scissors and cut-cut-cut at each intersecting point, but this isn't a one-off shape it's a process that I want to be able to repeat often across several works.


Essentially it should just be a clipping mask that cuts/deletes line segments outside it and leaves actual line segments (not shapes) behind...seems simple and an obvious function, but I'm stumped. (I'm in CS6)


Thanks for any help!




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...