Saturday, March 14, 2015

wireframe - Best practices for interactive prototypes deliverables?


I'm introducing Axure prototypes to a client for the first time. While Axure offers very detailed annotations and specs, I think it's overkill for this project—a scheduling application for internal use. The project manager is used to Visio flows and Photoshop comps but is as eager as I am to elevate the design/approval process. I want to find out what level of detail is recommended in the UI, annotations and specs. My question is not specific to Axure, but that is the tool I'm using.



Revised: I'd like to refocus the question towards deliverables. Which deliverables are important for the client to see, and how far do you develop them? For example, the Axure specs might be useful to the development team, but for the UX/UI design approval cycle, I don't think they're useful.



Answer



The reason why we do prototypes is to convey ideas/concepts/solutions that can't be conveyed through showing static screens.


I always use the rule that whenever you want to give a feel or an understanding of the flow in your application/web service you should do prototypes.


It is with the prototypes that you can simulate how something might feel like.


For instance if you want to show a search functionality that functions like google suggest and your client is unlikely to know what you mean just by the reference. Then make a prototype to show it.


I believe that the flow of any application is one of the blind spots of normal UX. Much of what makes an application is what happens between the clicks.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...