Tuesday, March 17, 2015

style - How do you avoid purple prose?


I try to watch out for bland, overused adjectives and I keep adverbs to a minimum but -- I hear this phrase a lot and I'm not even sure what it means?



Answer



I think you're off to a good start by killing the adjectives and adverbs. Overuse of modifiers are the #1 reason I reject a piece of fiction writing.


Some thoughts:




  • a specific, active verb is worth a dozen adjectives

  • adverbs more often shore up weak verbs (ie "he ran quickly across the room" ... how about "he bolted across the room" or something like that

  • I see a lot of beginning writers use adjectives that just aren't very descriptive (cold vs. frigid or red v. burgundy). I also see a lot of beginning writers try to use exotic adjectives just to sound exotic.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...