Wednesday, March 2, 2016

creative writing - Are there widely recognized iconic story examples of "a stranger comes to town" and "a stranger in a strange land"?



I am working on a story and looking for examples of a particular type I can read as an archetype that might commonly be taught in writing schools. I believe it was Robert McKee who I heard say that every story at its core is story of a "stranger comes to town" or "stranger in a strange land."



First, is this a widely recognized pattern (i.e. taught as a typical observation in writing schools or degrees)?


If so, apart from the Heinlein novel of that title, are there any widely used examples of each that are typically taught or commonly referenced as iconic?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...