Monday, June 20, 2016

controls - One button or two?


I've got a web app where users can create two different kinds of similar things and I'm trying to decide whether to have two buttons, or one button and then present a choice as part of the resulting form. E.g.:


 [Create Primary Ownership] [Create Secondary Ownership]


vs.


[Create Ownership]   ->    (x) Primary    ( ) Secondary

I like the second one better even though it requires an extra click -- it's more scalable and less cluttered. The situation is more complex, though, because in one version of our product (for a particular set of users), the objects being created are labeled as above, but for a second set of users, the labels reflect the underlying structure better:


[Create Team]  [Grant Secondary Access]

vs.


[Create Team / Grant Access]    ->   (x) Team    ( ) Secondary Access


I hate the slash in "Create Team / Grant Access".



Answer




Two different operations. "Cluttered" is subjective. Best to do a paper test with a few users of course, but based on the information given I would find the second option confusing, while choosing one of two buttons seems obvious.


As a developer, I'm suspicious of anything labeled 'primary' and 'secondary', because 'tertiary' et al is implied ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...