Tuesday, June 21, 2016

While establishing Heuristics for usability testing,do you advise using your own heuristics or pre defined ones



I am conducting a usability study of medical content delivery systems and I was planning to use some heuristics present in a CHI paper for my Heuristic evaluation.However since the area of focus is slightly different from the paper,I am not sure if all the heuristics are applicable and whether I should use them as a guideline.


How would you handle such a situation,would you create your own heuristics or use an existing one and adapt it to suit your process ?



Answer



An excerpt from Jakob Nielsen's website:



They are called "heuristics" because they are more in the nature of rules of thumb than specific usability guidelines.



Nielsen's heuristics are the most common, but there are definitely other variations. Depending on the application, certain heuristics may apply more than others. It's also possible that a few heuristics were left out from the list you have.


Here's Nielsen's list: http://www.useit.com/papers/heuristic/heuristic_list.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...