Wednesday, June 22, 2016

formatting - Should large numbers be formatted with delimiters?


Every country has a different way of delimiting large numbers. In USA, we put commas between every three digits. For example, one million would appear as 1,000,000. I believe this allows the reader to quickly deduce the magnitude of the number without tediously counting all the digits.


I have seen some prominent websites and apps forgo the delimiters, and thus they lose this benefit. The omission may or may not have been done on purpose. Are there any benefits for omitting delimeters? I would like to hear the standpoints of each side .


Instagram website has delimiters:


Instagram



Instagram iPhone app does not have delimiters::


Instagram




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...