Wednesday, June 15, 2016

User research for a product users have never used


I am designing a health tracker app for the users in my organisation and I am planning to interview users in order to understand them more.


However, these users have never used such an application before. In such case, what kind of questions should I ask them in order to understand their goals, behaviors and preferences?



Answer



I am lazy and this has been done before, so I highly encourage you to read this: http://hci.stanford.edu/courses/dsummer/handouts/NeedFinding.pdf


I think it answers all your questions.


To summarize:


Find your users: the average user, the extreme user, the casual user, the expert on the subject ...


Ask questions:




  • Be as open-ended as possible

  • Let the people educate you:

  • Ask people for comparisons instead of evaluating on an absolute scale

  • Avoid personal bias, because people are not very good at self reporting

  • Be concrete


Good examples:



  • “I don’t really understand coffee chemistry. As a food chemist, can you explain to me how coffee ‘works’?”

  • "How much did you exercice this week?"



Bad examples:



  • "Is the daily update an important feature to you?"

  • "Would you like something more intuitive?"

  • "How often do you exercice?"


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...