Monday, August 26, 2019

How can I change the perspective of an object Illustrator CS5


I have a flat object.


I want to fit it on a laptop screen. I can't use the perspective grid because it only deals with a straight line axis and the screen doesn't have any edges on a straight line.



I can't find a way to rotate or skew the perspective grid.


If I skew the object it doesn't work as I need to make each corner skew independently.


In Photoshop I can use Transform > Perspective. Does Illustrator CS5 have a similar function?


I want to put the recycling symbol on all three screens. What's the easiest way?


enter image description here



Answer




Does Illustrator CS5 have a similar function?



Yes. But it's sort of hidden in CS5....






Select an object and grab the Free Transform Tool


enter image description here


Now.. in this order.. you must follow this order....



  1. Click a corner handle (but do not move the handle)

  2. Hold down the Command/Ctrl+Option/Alt+Shift keys

  3. Drag the handle



This will create a Perspective Distortion on the object as you drag.


Again, this only works if you follow the specific order of steps above using the Free Transform Tool. This won't work with the standard bounding box or any other tool.


This is a CS6 animation, which is as close to CS5 as I can get on my systems.


enter image description here





The Free Transform Tool (e)


enter image description here


If you click the tool, you are presented with a popup tool bar... Perspective Distort is on that popup...


enter image description here



Click the Perspective Distort Tool and then click-drag a corner handle on the object you wish to distort.


-- The shortcut posted above for older versions will also still work in any newer version of Illustrator -- and the order of the steps still must be followed.




Be aware you can not distort linked/embedded raster images with this. These tools/shortcuts only work with native vector objects and/or groups. To distort linked/embedded raster images, see Andrew's method in the other answer.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...