Wednesday, August 28, 2019

website design - Should "Printer Friendly" buttons be used?


I have an intranet application that has a few "printer friendly" buttons on pages users were expected to print, and I really would like to get rid of them. The previous designers didn't know what they were doing and the print buttons are a particularly ugly example. In my opinion Printer Friendly buttons just make the layout that much more erratic (they're on very few pages), the print version as-is looks nothing like the normal version, and I would really rather print by CSS.


In fact the default print settings in most browsers actually make my pages look 90% okay in print, all the print button is doing is removing the navigation buttons and all styles; this has the effect of destroying the user interface and forcing the use of the back button.



So is there a reason I should keep these? I hate to just do it for "consistency's" sake, because the behavior is NOT consistent. However I do want my users to be able to print, and I don't want them to think that without those buttons the printout won't work or that it will be ugly. Do people even use these buttons? Is there any research on them? Any recommendations are welcome. I have barely seen "Printer Friendly" buttons on webpages (outside of news articles) in years, I was hoping they had fallen out of favor.



Answer



'print friendly' functionality is a bit of a hold-over akin to 'font resizing' widgets. It was an attempt to take somewhat hidden browser tools and bring them into the UI of the page itself.


The thing with print-friendly, however, is that it can serve purposes other than printing. The typical alternate use for a print-friendly link is on news sites or content-heavy sites. Typically the print-friendly version (somewhat ironically) will lead you to a much easier to read version of the page even on-screen. Typically it's now one page, no ads, and 100% width allowing you to resize your browser to your preference.


Print CSS supposedly makes the need for print-friendly links unnecessary. Technically, it works well, but there can be UX issues as well...namely that one can end up printing a page that looks very different than what they see on screen. This can be disconcerting to folks at times.


So, no easy answer, unfortunately.


In your specific situation, where the screen version isn't really different than the print version, I say the print friendly links are superfluous.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...