Tuesday, August 6, 2019

tables - Ways to display both string and boolean on page


I have an unusual question regarding how displayed data should look as opposed to how to code the solution. I really don't know where to ask this.


I have a table that contains settings for a web application and an admin page where these settings can be updated. Some of the settings contain values (ie. days_to_display = 5) and some of them are just straight up boolean values (ie display_days = true). So I have setup my table as follows:


id(int), date_created(date), key(text), value(text), enabled(boolean)


I also want each setting to be able to be individually disabled. So my database would like such:


1    |          |    rule.days.to.display     |    5     |    T
2 | | rule.display.days | | T
3 | | rule.hide.sunday | | F
4 | | rule.start.of.week | Sunday | T

Here's an example of what it looks like: http://prnt.sc/azuwyl


I cannot think of a cleaner way to show the combination of text and boolean values together.


Just for completion: Java backend, Tomcat, JSP pages, PostgreSQL database




Answer



I see several points where your solution can be optimized:



  1. The most important column in your table is setting state. If a setting is disabled the rest of the values are irrelevant. Therefore, I suggest to put that column first.

  2. The most common way of displaying boolean values is checkboxes. So you may use them instead of true/false. If you want to go a bit more fancy dim/gray out inactive settings. Also you may try an option with led-indication instead of checkboxes (see below).

  3. I suggest to make all settings editable in place, rather than providing an edit button. User can start editing by clicking a value in the table. Finish editing by pressing enter/leaving the cell/clicking done button - choose whatever sounds more appropriate.

  4. If possible use names optimized for human reading, not machine names.


So in the end you may have something like this:


enter image description here



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...