Friday, August 30, 2019

user research - Where is the best way to approach hallway usability testing?


I found UserTesting.com but it costs $40 per person which is super expensive. I want to test if I am communicating the correct message to users on our site. Where is a good place to do some hallway testing? Or does it have to be in-person?



Answer





  • it's just a message to test, e.g. a tagline on your site that explains what the site/product is about, not a bunch of features at once

  • $40 is too much for that (I agree) but I guess $3 would be ok

  • personal interview preferred over anonymous test (at least this is my preference - so much richer feedback)




Here is how it works:



  • Go to a coffee house or similar place where people spend some time

  • Find people that could be users of your site

  • Approach them right after they bought a coffee and ask them:
    "You just bought a coffee. Can I buy you a muffin and get two minutes of your time for a quick feedback on my website?"

  • Ask your questions and make them talk as much as possible without influencing them

  • Get inspired by the answers and find out if your message works


The last question, especially if the message/site didn't work well, is to explain the intention and ask them what they would have understood better. But only do this as the last thing, don't get into a debate take the comment with a grain of salt.





*I call this Starbucks testing because it works especially well in coffee houses where people are relaxed and spending some leisure time. Often they're open to talk. It might be different in other countries or cultures. I think key success factors are that they get a little reward for their time investment and to make them understand that you won't be trying to sell something.


If you want to learn more about user testing I'd suggest Rocket surgery made easy by Steve Krug - an enjoyable and entertaining read.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...