Sunday, August 18, 2019

web app - User Profile, My Account, or just Settings?


I am writing a little webapp, and am stuck on a UI hangup. I have a global menu bar at the top of the screen, that when the user is signed in consists of:



  • Signed in as Joe User (with username as link to account page)

  • My Account

  • Sign Out


My question is about the second item. It takes you to a screen where you can edit your user profile details (name, email, etc.) and change your password. But it will also eventually allow you to do things like upgrade your account to a pay version, enter payment details, manage other users who are attached to your account, etc.


Originally I was going to have a separate 'User Profile' and 'My Account' links, but I think this is way too ambiguous for most users.


Does the whole 'My Account' thing make sense? Would just 'Account' be a more standard way of doing things? Or should I split these back into two?




Answer



Simple is better. And i think the "My" is not necessary.


Authenticated view:



Joe User's account | log out



Not authenticated view:



log in




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...