Thursday, January 17, 2019

android - Header/Footer Icon usability


Consider the two screenshots shown below


2x2 icons (in 2 + 3 icons (not


The context here is an "offers" mobile app with the icons serving the following functions



  • Drop down "refine" results list (top left)

  • Configure/Settings (top right)

  • Search (bottom left)

  • Offers on a map (bottom right)


  • Shopping Basket (bottom right x 2 - if/when used)


The intent behind that last one is to ensure that the "basket" is accessible from the "main page" of the app with a single tap.


My own experience with using apps and websites is this



  • I tend not to be attracted to apps that show too many header/footer icons (takes me too long to figure them out, to remember what they do

  • It "looks" unattractive

  • I make mistakes and tap on the wrong of 2 or more adjacent icons

  • I tend to ignore all but one icon that appears in a group



I would like to know what take others here have on this



  • Is this just a personal perception on my part?

  • If not, what can be done to remedy the situation?



Answer



I think there is a lot to solve with this design, even more than you refer to in your question.



I tend not to be attracted to apps that show too many header/footer icons (takes me too long to figure them out, to remember what they do




In general, you are right. Visual and functional overload is something that can affect usability a lot. Unfortunately, I think this is just the case here.


Not only the icons are spread around the interface, but they are also not hundred percent self-explanatory:




  • Search icon - I believe it should refer to the content as much as possible, right now I would rather think it leads to another screen.




  • Settings - why would I need to access it often? It is too exposed, and probably you will also need to put "About", and some other things somewhere as well, so I would suggest having a Menu icon.





  • The marker icon is not self-explanatory. I would not know what it does.




  • Shopping basket - it is not a good practice to hide an icon from the interface, instead I would add an "basket empty" state to it.




  • The Refine icon does not refer to the content and looks like menu icon - a filter icon would really be a better choice here.




  • Icons are placed a little bit too close to each other.





  • I cannot see the app purpose described anywhere.




To make it more clear, I would do something like this:


enter image description here


This way:



  • you can clearly tell one view from another (map vs. list)


  • search and filtering use the recognisable icons and are directly related to the content

  • shopping basket is always visible and clearly communicates if there is something inside of it (0 or no badge if empty).

  • you have a menu where you can hide settings etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...