Wednesday, January 23, 2019

typography - How to find open source alternatives to commercial fonts?


What is the best way to find an open source alternative to a commercial font? I was thinking as some service as alternativeto.net or a whatthefont.com that would spit out fonts that are similar to the one uploaded.


For example: What is the open source font that looks most similar to Scala Sans? (see picture) What would be the criteria and tools to identify similarity?enter image description here



Answer



Whatfontis.com is an alternative to whatthefont.com, but you have the option to just display free fonts.


However, when uploading my example, I could not find anything suitable.


A manually found alternative, in my opinion, would be Source Sans Pro, Semibold. As the width differs, I tweaked kerning manually:


enter image description here



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...