Monday, January 14, 2019

fonts - Type 1, TrueType, OpenType - expressivity



I remember being told that Type 1 fonts support cubic Bezier curves (start position + scaled direction, end position + scaled direction), while TrueType fonts only support quadratic curves (start point, end point, control point).


This has got me wondering:



  • Which of the three font formats/standard has "glyph expressivity" which subsumes one or both of the others?

  • For those pairs which don't subsume each other's expressivity, what are the features which each of them has and the other doesn't


Note: I'm not interesting in this like max number of characters and various Unicode-related tricks - just th encoding of glyphs.




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...