Monday, January 14, 2019

gui design - UI to convey competency or skill level?


Are there any guidelines out there as to what could be used to effectively convey competency at x, where x is a professional ability of some kind?



At the moment I'm dividing skills up by core and other but this is simply a text label. Have any of you UX gurus any suggestions for how best to do this? I flirted with the idea of a Venn diagram of sorts but it becomes unreadable very quickly.


Other things that have crossed my mind are sliders or ratings stars/thumbs ups but I don't know what best practice is and would love some guidance from the professionals in this arena.


The wireframe below represents my first efforts at using the tool so please be gentle ;-)


mockup


download bmml source – Wireframes created with Balsamiq Mockups



Answer



Since it is a self-assessment it is best to go simple with the stars across each skill type. You 7 stars... the first star on the left being "Noob" the 4th star being "amateur" and the 7th star being "God or Rock Star". That way, the user an self assess his level with a more quantifying degree.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...