Sunday, January 27, 2019

software - I want to write a Choose Your Own Adventure styled e-book, what's a good approach?


If you don't remember, Choose Your Own Adventure books had bits of a story, then options for the reader to give them more of a feeling of control in their adventure: "If you want to walk through the dark tunnel, turn to page 16. If you want to take the bridge, turn to page 19."


I want to write a similar book, only a technical manual. My initial thoughts are to write it as a PDF with internal links to various pages, like


"If you already know how to engage the widget, go to page 60. If you want to learn more about the history of widgets, visit page 1010.


So, two questions. 1) Can I write it in this style and have the links to pages change dynamically (say I add an entire chapter and it bumps up page 60 to 80 and page 1010 to 1030. 2) Is there recommended software for doing this? Sorry for the noob question, this will be my first venture into writing a book.



Answer



Surely good old HTML would be great for this? Links would work perfectly for the transitions (especially in-document # links).


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...