Tuesday, January 15, 2019

mouse - How Many Clicks for Given Action?


I am designing a web app in which people can come in and rate "objects" and comment on them. I know that the easier it is for the user to perform the main activities the better, but I was wondering if there's any documentation or resource to which I can refer in regards of how many clicks are recommended.


Perhaps too few ain't the best, perhaps a fixed number has been set (e.g. no more than 4 clicks, 2-3 recommended).


What should I be looking for in this subject?



Answer




See Neilsen's take here: http://www.useit.com/alertbox/interaction-elasticity.html


Note he warns against focusing on the number of clicks - he takes the approach (as Peter of the Corn noted in his post) that it's the ease of clicks that really matters. He also adds that context plays a role in what is acceptable, and that you need a good understanding of why a user must click and what happens when they click to know what is acceptable.


Scott Hamill at UXBooth posted this view: http://www.uxbooth.com/blog/stop-counting-clicks/


Given the name of the article I'm not sure there's much more to say, except he quotes research that shows how essential it is that the user feels a click was worth it - if each click provides some measure of success in a task, you don't need to bother counting.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...