Friday, November 27, 2015

color theory - Is there a good way to establish a Green-Yellow-Red colour scheme?


Basic colour theory tells us that a colour palette of Green, Yellow and Red is a laughably ugly, they are colours that clash. If we take Green as the prominent colour, the analogous colours that go with it are Red and Blue - there is no room for yellow in such a colour scheme.


So, is there any way that one can combine Green, Yellow and Red in a colour scheme without blinding the users?


As my example, I have a page on a website where these colours are used to measure the required level of a skill for a project against a given user's actual level of this skill. Green satisfies or exceeds this level, Yellow indicates a slight shortfall in expectation and Red means that they are either not good enough or totally lacking in a given skill.


Here is my example (ignore the orange and grey fields around the lettering, they are unrelated).


Screenshot


We can all surely agree that this looks pretty terrible, but it is this format I need to adhere to, the whole Green-Red-Yellow thing. :/


Being a programmer mainly, as opposed to a Graphic/Web designer, my understanding of colour theory and user experience is limited.



To put a point on it, my question is How can one establish a traditionally clashing colour scheme without detracting from the User Experience?


(If my question is unsuitable I will remove it, I was not sure where to ask this, it seemed the most appropriate)




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...