Friday, November 13, 2015

style - Punctuating dialogue with oneself


I am wondering what the convention is for punctuating dialogue with oneself.


In particular, if a character speaks to himself, do the words need to be put in open and closed quotes? Note that the words in this case are merely the thoughts of the character.


Examples:




  • How could I be so complacent, Alex said to himself.

  • I will not give in, Alex told himself.



Answer



In most instances thought is presented as italicised text.


If they’re physically talking I’d present it as normal text.


Thought - Damn it, what’s the matter with me? She thought as she closed the door.
Speech - ‘Damn it, what’s the matter with me?’ She cursed as she closed the door.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...