Tuesday, November 17, 2015

credit derivatives - How to interpret the 'price' of a CDS?


I'm looking for an intuitive explanation of how to understand the 'price'/trade spread of a CDS.


Looking say at a current CDS on Santander, the index states that it is currently at 132. As I understand it, this is the trade spread.



I also understand that the 100bp coupon gets paid quarterly (i.e. 25k per quarter).


What is the actual price I would have to pay today to own this CDS? This is the bit I am not understanding. How does a value of 132 translate into a price? (I originally thought that 132bp * notional would be the price?)




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...