Friday, November 13, 2015

CMYK to PANTONE differences between Illustrator and Photoshop


I'm trying to find a way to match CMYK color to the closest PANTONE solid color. In Illustrator I use the "Recolor Artwork" dialog, in Photoshop the color dialog. But, if I convert (C=0, M=100, Y=100, K=0) to Pantone I get (185 C) in Illustrator and (485 C) in Photoshop


The thing is the results are not the same (it seems they're more accurate in Photoshop): why is that? how to be sure? is there a better way?


Thanks.


EDIT:


It seems that the conversion PANTONE <> CMYK relies on the color profile of the document. The thing is: even if I select the same color profile in Photoshop and Illustrator, the results are not necessarily the same.


The example of the red given earlier is a good one: using the 'Coated FOGRA27' color profile if both softs, I get the earlier result. But if I set the profile to 'Uncoated FOGRA29' just in Illustrator the results match... weird, isn't it?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...